Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

The First Four Sutras

I was one of the students that read all four chapters for class.  I'm so glad that we only needed to read the first four sutras.  I can already tell that I will have a hard time accomplishing the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind.  During class yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about certain things.  I'm going through a tough time right now with some personal issues; all I could think about during yoga was what I'm going through.  I really want to be able to stop the fluctuations of the mind and be able to relax and reflect on myself.  I know that right now it might not be possible because wounds are still fresh, but maybe in a few weeks I will actually be able to stop constantly thinking about this pain.  Even after the pain fades, I think I'll still have a tough time not thinking about things in general.  I'm a thinker and worrier.  I'll really need to apply myself if I want to reach the point of cessation.

I'm so sorry for being such a downer.  I promise I'm not always like this.  This class has really helped me in dealing with everything.  I'm really grateful to be in the class and to have amazing people practicing yoga with me.

3 comments:

  1. I have gone through some difficult times myself Melissa and yoga has given me a great deal of solace in that it becomes a practice where you can focus on something else besides yourself. One of my teachers says that the calmness we feel after yoga is really the effect of us getting a break from our personalities and personal issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely rough getting the mind to shut-up when your world is spinning around out of control. Makes me glad I am not in Tatum's class this semester. As if I need another hyper moment in my day.
    Just because you are being real doesn't mean you are being a downer. Your ability to be honest on this blog is great, and I enjoy reading it and sitting besides you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt the same way, Melissa. I really appreciate your candor and honesty in this post. It's hard to channel the fluctuations of the mind when those thoughts are personal and painful, but your acceptance and acknowledgement of them are definitely a good place to start. I'm looking forward to practicing yoga with you this semester!

    ReplyDelete