Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

Bhagavad Gita

At the beginning, Arjuna raises the question of why he should kill his relatives.  What good would come out of killing them?  This leads Arjuna to question more of his spirituality such as how he views the world.  Krishna attempts to explain to Arjuna how the living are meant to die while the living are meant to be reborn.  It is just a cycle.  Krishna also introduces the idea of karma. Karma reminds me of an idea from How Yoga Works when it was said that the bad an individual did would be reflected in the individual's life by bad things happening to the individual (equal to each other).  I agree with this idea - maybe not exactly as stated - but I think that life is essentially fair.  Everyone will go through difficult trials but at the same time have moments of joy.

Arjuna, like myself, is very practical.  He asks about how an ideal person should live.  Krishna responds that individuals should live without personal desire.  I have a difficult time with this one.  I always want something.  I always want to be better, to have better things, for even more happiness, etc.  Krishna would not promote my way of thinking.  Instead, Krishna would say that I need to let go of my personal desires.

Like Arjuna, I have begun to question more about how I should live - especially with my thoughts and outlook on life.  I am eager to see what else the Bhagavad Gita will say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment