Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Yoga From The Inside Out (Chapters 7 & 8)

As usual, many of the author's writings spoke to me.  One particular thing included her thoughts on  the importance of "good company."  I believe I had found "good company" in our yoga class.  Even though we did not choose who would be in the class, I would choose the same students and professor for our class.  Does this mean it is my kula?  Each individual in our class has been super supportive and encouraging whether in class or through the blog, so the class feels like a safe haven.  I love how Dr. Schultz compliments us whenever we have improved and at the same will give us constructive criticism in a gentle manner.  I also love how students in the class help each other out and will compliment each others' progress.  I love this environment in which students are not competing with each other but instead only want to see classmates succeed and become more confident in their abilities.  Because of the loving community I have found in this yoga class, I have become more comfortable telling little bits of my struggles to the class.  I am not yet comfortable divulging everything, but little steps are still something.

Another aspect of these chapters that interested me was the author's statement about how practicing yoga and negative thoughts could not coincide.  If individuals want to truly practice yoga, they must also cultivate positive thoughts and become more comfortable with their bodies.  I am still at the point that I am negative about my abilities and unsure about how well I can execute the yoga poses, but I want to overcome those negative thoughts at some point. I desire to become perfect in as many aspects as possible, but the author makes a great point that God does not want us to be perfect.  God accepts us no matter who we are or what we have done.  He wants us to come to Him as we are and know that we are not perfect but that God is greater than we are.  He can love us as humans - as fallen individuals.  I am slowly accepting that I do not need to be perfect but instead only need to accept who I am and embrace all of me.

I wonder about all my reasons for deciding to practice yoga and desiring to continue as long as I can.  I have noticed that my body feels better, stronger in some aspects.  I love how yoga encourages practice and continued growth because nobody will ever be perfect at everything in yoga.  One of my strengths according to the Strengths Finder test is that I am a learner; therefore, I love how there are so many yoga poses and poses can always be altered.  Individuals can always learn new ways to do poses and better those methods.  Practicing yoga has also been very fun and mentally/emotionally helpful.  Yoga is definitely my favorite class of the semester for how much it relaxes me and helps me in altering my perception of life.  I have not completely changed how I think, but the seeds have been planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment