Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Yoga From The Inside Out (Chapters 5 & 6)

These two chapters of the book really impacted me today.  It could be because I had a bad day yesterday, and the reasons stemmed from things that the author was addressing in these chapters.  Maybe I have always had trouble with my self-image, with accepting the good in me.

These past two months I have had a really tough time seeing the good in me, seeing what I have to offer the world.  All my friends keep telling me to stay positive and that I have alot to offer, but I just cannot seem to accept their view of me.  I see what the author says about Christianity teaching that humans have original sin and are fallen, but I do not think that necessarily is the reason people have a difficult time seeing the good in themselves.  I think that this song really illustrates the view of Christianity in that Christ came to save us.  We are definitely more than what we do.  Christ will still love us no matter what mistakes we make.  I think that is the true message of Christianity, so knowing that we are fallen should not mean that we only see the negative.  Instead, we should see what God has given us and what He sees in us.


From my experience, poor self-image comes from society - what the media portrays of individuals as the ideal.  In addition, poor self-image might also come from personal experiences like being teased or being rejected.  I believe that it is ok at times to doubt yourself in those cases because it is your first instinct, but individuals should not dwell in those insecurities.  I say all this knowing that I am dealing with these insecurities.  I say all of it in hopes that what I am saying is true, that eventually everyone can overcome these insecurities and be confident in themselves, to see the good in them.

I completely agree with the author when she writes that we must open our hearts and suffer before we can be truly compassionate.  Last semester my friend was going through a really tough experience.  I had no idea how it felt for her; I could just tell her encouraging words that seemed pretty generic.  This year I have had to go through the same pain that she went through.  She has been there for me through all of this, telling me things that really do apply.  She knows how I'm feeling and what I need.  Now I know what it was like for her, so now I can be truly compassionate to anyone else who has to go through the same kind of pain.

I am still dealing with this pain.  The author writes that we must face suffering with an open heart.  That we cannot receive grace until we have that broken heart that only God can heal.  I have been praying and begging God to heal me.  All of me just wants this pain to go away, but I know that sometimes God gives you things to make you stronger.  Being in pain is just part of the process.  God has been my rock through all of this.  He has blessed me so much especially in the past 2 months.  I can see how I am receiving grace with this broken heart that only He can fix.  I have realized over the past 2 months that I need to turn to God because He knows best for me and will always take care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment