Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Backward Bends

Hmmm....I don't know how much I enjoyed the backward bends this week.  I think I probably struggle most with these poses as compared to maybe the standing poses or twists.  Many people in the class talked about feeling really good after doing the backward bends, but I felt a dull ache after the poses.  I don't know if that was normal; I probably should have said something in class.  However, I always enjoy learning new poses.  Not being "good" at them just means that I need practice just like I need to practice all the poses.  One of the poses I really didn't like was the camel pose.  I don't think my back curled like it should have for that pose, for I think I might have been bending without lifting my chest.  I also was not sure how I felt about all the calf mashing.  Those really hurt!  I definitely will keep doing those so that I can get adjusted to the pain.  Lastly, my upward facing dog needs some work.  I am not yet able to really push my chest forward.  I did enjoy going back and forth from downward facing dog to upward facing dog during class.  Thursday's class was really peaceful for me - not really sure why.  Thank you Dr. Schultz for offering this class!

3 comments:

  1. Way to keep a positive attitude! I'm kind of opposite when it came to the backwards bending poses. While I really enjoyed those, I find it much harder to do the standing poses and twists! But like you said, we just need to keep practicing the poses we find difficult. I do agree on the calf mashing, ouch! But I know we'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, those back bending poses were difficult! I wonder if they are particularly hard for us because of all the stress we put on our backs anyway by being students.

    Even though in this post you focused on the poses that gave you the most trouble, there were some poses that you did very well! I'm thinking of cow pose in particular. :) Keep up the good work! It's a privilege to practice yoga next to you in class :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Keep it up. Backbends are hard. they ask a lot of the body, mind and heart.

    ReplyDelete