Search This Blog

Friday, September 30, 2011

The Eight Limbs of Yoga

The limb that stuck out the most to me was that of fixed observances.  This limb (actually all the limbs) seemed to incorporate so many different things.  For example, this limb meant cleanliness, contentment, austerity, study and persevering devotion to God.  I do not exactly see this limb fully exhibited in my life, but my goal is to devote myself to working on this limb.  I do believe that I am fairly clean physically in that most of my things are in order around my room or with my work; of course I can always do better.  However, I see that my life especially my emotions are not very clean because I am still so emotional and unsure about many things in my life.  At times I am very wishy washy.  I would love to be able to do the sutras saying to do the opposite of a bad thought or feeling.  In relation to contentment, I really need to work on that.  I never can seem to be content with my life.  The benefits of contentment seem amazing, and I hope to have that one-mindedness and purity of mind one day.  I don't know if I understand austerity - does this mind just a seriousness?  If it does, I think I exhibit that really well.  Lastly, I have grown more devoted to my faith over the past 3 years at Baylor.  I know that I still have so much more to learn with my faith and that I can always do better.  However, I am proud of where I am now and want to strive to keep doing what I'm doing at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment