Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sutras 1:1-11

In class on Thursday, we discussed the five fluctuations (vrittis).  We were asked to think about which fluctuation we most associate.  At first, I was a little confused about the difference between incorrect knowledge and imagining.  I thought they both meant that the individual was making things up - kind of like being insecure.  Then, I realized that incorrect knowledge meant believing in things that are not true while imagining meant being creative.  I would say that I most associate with incorrect knowledge.  I definitely am very insecure and have a hard time believing what people tell me.  My lack of trust has been an issue for a while, and I am hoping to become more trusting and receptive of what people tell me.

I also struggle with the other fluctuations except not to the same degree.

Correct knowledge:
- I definitely dwell on things going on in my life.  I have a very hard time not thinking about any issues.  Yoga has helped me to stop thinking about life and to focus on yoga.  Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:45 pm I am actually able to stop thinking about life.

Imagining:
- I live in a different world at times.  I am always thinking about the future and planning for the future.  I guess planning for the future is not the same as imagining except my future plans might not necessarily have a basis in reality.

Sleep:
- I do not know if I ever really am able to "sleep."

Memory:
- Is this the same as correct knowledge somehow?  I guess it relates to me dwelling on issues.

I think I need more explanation on correct knowledge versus memory. 

1 comment:

  1. good set of observations. We will talk more about memory. It can relate to correct knowledge, but it has its own domain.

    ReplyDelete